Cap'n Crunch is a popular childrens breakfast cereal manufactured by the Quaker Oats company.
The cereal is promoted by the friendly mascot - Cap'n Horatio Crunch, a cartoon sea captain who was born and raised on Crunch Island in the Sea of Milk.
Jay Ward is the man responsible for creating Cap'n Crunch.
He also invented other popular characters such as George of the Jungle, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Boris and Natasha, and Dudley Do-Right.
The cereal itself is a mixture of mashed maize (corn) and syrup, shaped into pieces that resemble barrels (of the sort that used to be a fixture of pre-ironclad sailing ships ).
Recipe for Captain Crunch Candy Clusters --
4 cups Cap'n Crunch cereal
4 cups crisp rice cereal
4 cups mini marshmallows
2 lbs white candy coating, broken into small pieces
1 1/2 cups peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon almond extract, optional
1. Place candy coating in a 5 qt slow cooker.
2. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
3. Add peanut butter.
4. Stir in extract if desired.
5. In a large bowl, combine the cereals and marshmallows.
6. Stir in the peanut butter mixture until well coated.
7. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper.
8. Let stand until set.
9. Store at room temperature.
Yield: 78 servings